Aquila Club O’Donoghue Cup East Kerry GAA Senior Championship

2017 O’Donoghue Cup East Kerry Senior Championship, sponsored by The Aquila Club, Gleneagle Hotel

Match Reports  – Weekend of 30 September 2017  + 1st October 2017

Round 1 Saturday 30 September 2016

Spa 4-18 Glenflesk 3-14

In true championship fashion, these neighbours gave the large support plenty to enjoy at Spa on Saturday, 30th September 2017. The scores came fast and furious from the first minute to last and although Glenflesk only led for 3 minutes, they never allowed Spa relax for the hour. With Michael ODonoghue on song early on, Spa were 0-4 to 0-2 ahead after 10 minutes when Glenflesk responded with a Gavin Kelly goal. However within 5 minutes Ciaran Spillane and Evan Cronin had the sides level 0-6 to 1-3. ODonoghue, Niall McCarthy, Michael McCarthy and Evan Cronin added 5 points for Spa with Darragh Roche hitting 2 for Glenflesk as the sides approached half time. But Spa was looking threatening. First full forward Andrew Garnett hit the post before a driving run by Shane Cronin saw a penalty awarded –  well struck by Evan Cronin. At half time Spa led by 7 points 1-12 to 1-5.

Glenflesk emerged from the dressing room revitalised and drove at the Spa defence with purpose. Padraig Healy netted from the throw in and points from Darragh Roche (4) and Chris ODonoghue had the scores level – Spa 1-12 Glenflesk 2-9 within 3 minutes of the restart. However the Spa response was vigorous as they opened a 12 point gap in a devastating 5 minute period.  Michael ODonoghue and Evan Cronin raised white flags before Spa struck for 3 goals from Shane Cronin, Ryan Carroll and the best of the day from Evan Cronin. Spa keeper, James Devane, blocked a Darragh Roche shot and cleared to midfielder Dan ODonoghue who fired it to the corner where the dashing Roche weaved a path through the defence to rattle Felim Jacobs net Spa 4-15 Glenflesk 2-9 at the end of the third quarter. Michael ODonoghue, Ayden Mulvaney and Andrew Garnett added 3 more while Lee ODonoghue had a lone Glenflesk point in a ten minute period. Spa 4-18 Glenflesk 2-10 with 10 minutes left. Glenflesk players responded in style. They held Spa scoreless for the remainder of the match and added 1-4 to their own tally the goal scored by Ian Roche who was sharpest to a breaking ball. However points from Lee ODonoghue(2), Roche and Jeff ODonoghue came too late to deny Spa. Final score Spa 4-18 Glenflesk 3-14.

Spa team:  James Devane, David Spillane, Brian Lynch, Eoin Fitzgerald , Shane Cronin (1-0), Shane Lynch, Aydan Mulvaney(0-1), Michael McCarthy(0-3), Dan O’Donoghue, Ciaran Spillane (0-1, 45m), Niall McCarthy(0-1), Ryan O’Carroll(1-0), Evan Cronin(2-5,penalty), Andrew Garnett (Capt)(0-1), Michael O’Donoghue(0-6, 0-5 frees). Subs Eric ODonoghue, Shane Fenton.

Glenflesk team:  Felim Jacobs, Shane Courtney, James McCarrick , Christopher ODonoghue (0-1), Brian ODonoghue, Daniel OBrien, Sean Lucey , Padraig Healy(1-0), Kieran Murphy, Michael OShea, Jeff ODonoghue(0-1), Ciaran OMahony, Lee ODonoghue(0-3, 45m), Darragh Roche(0-8, 0-5 frees), Gavin Kelly(1-0). Subs: Danny Lucey, Ian Roche(1-1)

Referee: Eddie Walsh Rathmore.


Gneeveguilla 0-12 Currow 0-11

After a strongly contested game between two closely matched teams, played in Currow, on Saturday 30 September 2017, it was Gneeveguilla that progressed to the quarter finals of the ODonoghue Cup East Kerry Senior Championship, sponsored by The Aquila Club, Gleneagle Hotel. Both sides had  periods of dominance and it took a Gneeeveguilla injury time point to seperate the sides by the minimum. Currows Seamus Scanlon dominated mid field, creating a platform for scoring, especially in the first half.  However, both defences were strong and prevented scores. With Gneeveguilla having a number of shots fall short in the opening half, scoring was low throughout the game. Gneeveguilla scored some great long distance points from play.

Currow opened the stronger and led 4 points to 1 in the first quarter. Currow might have had a greater lead but the Gneeveguilla full back line stood firm and deflected attack to the margins, snuffing out Currows scoring opportunities.  The home side were awarded frees which Daniel OShea converted, notching up 4 well taken Currow pointed frees in the first quarter. A lovely Gneeveguilla point from distance, by DJ O Connor, reduced the margin. Currow led by 3 points (0-4 to 0-1) in the 14th minute.  The visitors settled and took control in the second quarter, notching up 4 points without reply. The first a lovely effort from the boot of Padraig OConnor. The second point came after a nice upfield move, finished by Fergus McAuliffe. The third point came when Padraig OConnor won the Currow kick out, picked out DJ O Connor who kicked a great point from distance. Score at the break: Gneeveguilla 0-5  Currow 0-4.

The second half was tit for tat. Currow equalised with a DJ OConnor pointed free from the throw in. The sides traded points Cornelius Buckley, for Gneeveguilla  and Daniel OShea for Currow –  0-6 a piece on the 34th minute. Both sides brought on fresh legs. Gneeveguilla dominated the middle area of the field and pulled ahead with 2 DJ OConnor points from play. It was nip and tuck. ??? (24) reduced the margin to the minimum with a point from play and Gneeveguillas Cornelius Buckley replied with a point. Currow then dominated and equalised with 2 unanswered points, Pa Mc Carthy and Martin Howard on target 0-9 a piece, going into the last quarter. As the excitment rose amongst the supporters Currow were awarded a long distance free, ably pointed by Pa Mc Carthy.  Daniel OShea put the home side 2 points ahead on the 50th minute with a point from play 0-11 to 0-9. Cornelius Buckley reduced the gap to the minimum with a point from play. So it remained as the game went into injury time. Padraig OSullivan levelled the game with a pointed free, on the 31st minute. As it looked like the game would go into extra time, Cornelius Buckley picked off a point, putting Gneeveguilla into the quarter final on a final score of Gneeveguilla 0-12 Currow 0-11.   

Gneeveguilla team: Patrick ORiordan, Micheal Murphy, DJ Murphy, Darren Brosnan, Patrick Warren, Connie OConnor, John Sheehan, Fergus McAuliffe (0-1), Don Murphy, Connor Herlihy, Shane Crowley, Padraig OConnor(Capt) (0-1), Padraig Doyle, DJ OConnor(0-5), Corneilus Buckley (0-4). Subs: Philip Cremin, Mike Murphy, John OLeary, Dean Crowley, Padraig OSullivan(0-1).

Management team: Seanie OLeary, Brendan Sheehan & Donal OConnor

Currow team: Shane OLeary, Mike Hanafin, Tim OLeary, John  OConnor (Joint Capt), Pa Mc Carthy(0-2;1f), Pat OSullivan, Gareth OConnor, Seamus Scanlon, Martin Howard(0-1), Kevin Daly, Luke Fittzgerald, Seamus Brosnan, John Buckley, Daniel OShea (Joint Capt) (0-7;6f), Alex Fleming(0-1). Subs:  Mike Mc Carthy, Padraig OShea.

Trainer: Sean Walsh. Selectors: Tim Mc Carthy, Kieran Scanlon &  John Lyons 

Referee: Padraig OSullivan (Firies)       


Round 1 Sunday 1st October 2017

Kilcummin 2-20 Listry 0-13

Kilcummin was too strong for a Listry side depleted by injuries when they had 13 points to spare in this Round 1 game in the Aquila Club ODonoghue Cup East Kerry Senior football championship played in Listry on Sunday 1st October 2017. Without the services of stalwarts like Danny Wrenn, Darragh Lehane, Ronan Buckley, Jimmy OLeary Paudie Lehane and Eoghan Darmody, this was always going to be difficult for Listry and so it proved. Kilcummin started with the aid of a strong wind and were 0-7 to 0-1 ahead within 15 minutes as Kevin McCarthy(2), Mikey OShea, Kieran Murphy, Matt Keane and Noel Duggan all raised white flags. Listrys sole response came from Derry Aherne as indeed did their entire first half tally of 4 points. Listry found it difficult to penetrate beyond midfield where Kieran Murphy and Kevin Gorman held sway for Kilcummin. Nevertheless, Listry worked hard and were approaching half time on a score of 0-10 to 0-4 when Kilcummins Kieran Murphy turned the screw with a goal and Kevin McCarthy added a point. Half time Kilcummin 1-12 Listry 0-4.

Resuming with the aid of the gale, Listry looked forward to a better scoreline but it was Kilcummin who powered ahead. Murphy and McCarthy added points before Noel Duggan and Daniel OLeary put midfielder Kevin Gorman through for his sides second goal and Kilcummins lead was 2-14 to 0-4. Listry hit a purple patch and some battling work saw them add 5 points from Derry Aherne, Gary OSullivan(3) and Anthony Kennedy. Kilcummin replied with points from Kelvin Teahan (2) and Noel Duggan to leave a 14 point gap at the three quarter stage – 2-17 to 0-9. Listry created a number of goal chances but were unlucky not to raise green flags. A Derry Aherne screamer rose just over Brendan Kealys crossbar. Anthony Kennedy rose high to claim a ball at full forward and pass to the inrushing Aaron McCarthy whose pile driver rebounded from the cross bar. During this period of Listry pressure, they recorded 4 points from Derry Aherne(3) and Anthony Kennedy while Kilcummin replied with points from Ian Devane, Noel Duggan and Shane McSweeney. Listrys tough luck was summed up in the final action, when a penalty shot struck the bottom of the upright and went wide. Final Score: Kilcummin 2-20 Listry 0-13

Kilcummin team: Brendan Kealy, Damien OLeary (Capt), Donal Maher, Daniel Moynihan, Sean OLeary, Chris OLeary, Mikey OShea(0-1), Kieran Murphy(1-3), Kevin Gorman(1-0), Matt Keane(0-3), Kevin McCarthy,(0-5, 0-4 frees) Noel Duggan,(0-3, 0-2 frees) Oscar OConnor, Shane McSweeney(0-1), Daniel OLeary(0-1). Subs: Kelvin Teahan(0-2), Roman Gallagher, William Maher, Tom OConnor, Ian Devane(0-1)

Listry team: Colm Counihan, Senan Wrenn, Billy OBrien, Brian Kennedy, Conor OSullivan, Anthony Sweeney, Aaron McCarthy, Gary OSullivan(0-3), 0-1free), Joe Clifford, Sean OSullivan, Paul ODonoghue, Anthony Kennedy(0-2), Derry Aherne(0-8, 0-3 frees), Damien Clifford, Peadar Keane. Subs: Cain Bradley

Referee Brendan Brosnan (Glenflesk)



Written by

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Menu Title